Tuesday, March 18, 2014

EDCUR 809 Assignment 5

I have created a survey that I am using on Friday with my staff. The goal of the survey is to poll our staff in my school so we can determine how many people are in each of the four categories, as well it will give each staff member a way to self assess which category they align with. The results of this survey will be used to help guide future professional development in our school. The survey and questions were very difficult to develop.

This survey will follow a presentation that I am giving to my staff that explains Transforming School Culture. Here is the embedded slide deck that I am using. The presentation will actually be done from my iPad and these images are drawn with the app Paper. The slides should help provide some context to for the survey questions.





Here is my first draft of the survey.




I sent out my survey to 5 test members of my staff and asked for feedback from them to help refine the questions,  content, check for spelling, etc. I received feedback from 3 out of the 5 staff members, and each of the 3 had a different perceptive. One person is one of my administrators, another was our teacher librarian, and the third was a second year teacher. The input and dialogue that I had with these three turned out to be the most valuable part of my development. I will be interested to see how how some of the topics that we deliberated on pan out in the real survey scenario. The two top discussion points revolved around giving the people extra space to express their opinion and use of specific words so as to not sound that choosing one answer would sound more beneficial than another even though the survey is anonymous. One other aspect in considering the wording of the questions in this survey was to not have implied bias to which category they should align with.

The final survey can be found at the following link.


2 comments:

  1. Great work Jason
    I am especially pleased that you chose something you can actually apply in your school. The feedback was constructive and from a broad audience which is always helpful. I even liked the background of the survey.Very inviting.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to also say that your slide deck rocks.

    ReplyDelete